Apoel Nicosia vs FC Astana Prediction and Preview – 26/08/2015
Champions League football tips – Apoel Nicosia vs FC Astana prediction
With the return of defensive midfielder Vinicius it will be expected that Apoel switch the formation up. The 4-2-3-1 didn’t work but they could now use a 4-1-4-1 with Vinicius as the holding midfielder, which will give them more license to push forward. Leal and De Vincenti have been scoring lots of goals recently and Semir Štilić could make an appearance after a goal in their league game at the weekend.
Patrick Twumasi will be available for Astana after serving his ban after a red card – this will be welcome news for the team to have one of their main goal scorers back. They haven’t played a game since the first leg so there should be no excuses in terms of fitness. I feel that they will stick to a 4-4-2 formation because it worked well for them in the last game.
Apoel Nicosia: 4-1-4-1 formation: Waterman; Sergio, Astiz, Carlão, Antoniades; Vinicius; De Vincenti, Morais, Makrides, Štilić; Leal
FC Astana: 4-4-2 formation: Eric; Shomko, Postnikov, Aničić, Ilič; Kéthévoama, Cañas, Maksimović, Dzholchiev; Nuserbayev, Twumasi
- Apoel Nicosia have won 3, drawn 4 and lost 3 of their last 10 matches
- FC Astana have won 7, drawn 2 and lost 1 of their last 10 matches
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Apoel Nicosia have scored an average of 1.2 goals and conceded an average of 0.9 goals per game
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, FC Astana have scored an average of 1.6 goals and conceded an average of 0.8 goals per game
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 4 of Apoel Nicosia’s previous 10 matches
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 4 of FC Astana’s previous 10 matches
- This match will be the second leg of the tie between the two teams, the last ending in a 1-0 victory for FC Astana who hope to be the first Kazakh side to reach the Champions League group stages
Amongst a run of average form, Apoel won their first league game of the season in a convincing 5-1 win. They are yet to lose a Champions League play-off, however they must turn the tables in this match if they are to overcome FC Astana. The omens aren’t good; Apoel have not won in their last five European home games.
If FC Astana are to become the first Kazakh team to compete in the group stages they will have to score their first away goal in 4 European matches. The return of Twumasi to the squad could add an extra goal threat, and it would be the perfect time to grab an away goal in order to force Apoel’s hand.
FC Astana have given a good account of themselves by winning the first leg and it wouldn’t be unrealistic to think that they could cause an upset and qualify for the group stages.
What are your predictions?