Argentina vs Paraguay Prediction and Football Tips
Copa America football tips – Argentina vs Paraguay prediction
Despite being a large part of Juventus‘ run to the Champions League final and a call-up to the squad, Carlos Tevez is likely to be left on the bench for this one. Angel Di Maria and Sergio Aguero will join Lionel Messi in attack, with Javier Mascherano reverting a central midfield position, as opposed his defensive duties with Barcelona.
Paraguay will recall central defender Pablo Aguilar to the team, having missed their last friendly match. Veteran front-man Roque Santa Cruz will start the game as Paraguay’s sole striker and will have to rely on support from Nelson Valdez and Edgar Benitez from midfield.
Argentina: 4-3-3 formation: Romero; Rojo, Otamendi, Garay, Zabaleta; Banega, Mascherano, Pastore; Di Maria, Messi, Aguero
Paraguay: 4-5-1 formation: Villar; Caceres, Aguilar, Silva, Samudio; Valdez, Ortigoza, Caceres, Ortiz, Benitez; Cruz
- Argentina have won 6, drawn 2 and lost 2 of their last 10 matches
- Paraguay have won 2, drawn 4 and lost 4 of their last 10 matches
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Argentina have scored an average of 2.2 goals and conceded an average of 0.7 goals per game
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Paraguay have scored an average of 0.9 goals and conceded an average of 1.2 goals per game
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 5 of Argentina’s previous 10 matches
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 5 of Paraguay’s previous 10 matches
- The last time these teams met was in a World Cup qualifier in 2013, Argentina came away from Paraguay with a 5-2 win
Argentina have lost just one of their last six matches going in to the Copa America. All of these games have been friendlies but show that the team are in decent form. The World Cup finalists are favourites for the tournament and will be aiming to make a statement of intent in this opening fixture.
In contrast to Argentina, Paraguay have won only one of their last nine matches, including defeats to China PR and Peru. Furthermore, Paraguay have only beaten Argentina once in their last six attempts and these statistics don’t bode well Ramon Diaz’s team.
If Argentina can get their game together, it will be very difficult for Paraguay to live with them. However, these opening matches are not always easy and it make not be the big Argentina win that everyone is expecting. Only once in the World Cup and once in the 2011 Copa America did Argentina manage to score more than 2 goals in a match.
What are your Copa America predictions and football tips?