Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona Prediction and Preview – 12/09/2015
Liga BBVA preview – Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona prediction
Atletico did some excellent business in the summer by making lots of like-for-like transfers. Arda Turan and Mario Mandzukic were replaced by Yannick Carasco and Jackson Martinez for example. These breaths of fresh air seemed to have aided Atletico who are unbeaten so far this season. Bringing back Filipe Luis from Chelsea was a very good move considering he was one of their best players during the title winning campaign of 2013/2014.
Dani Alves is unavailable for Barcelona as he nurses a groin injury with either Adriano or Sergi Roberto likely to replace him. Whether it’s a hangover from a hugely successful 2014/2015 season for Barcelona we will have to see, but two 1-0 wins so far doesn’t represent a very exciting start to the league campaign. Now that Neymar is fully fit the attacking trio should begin to click properly.
Atletico Madrid: 4-4-2 formation: Oblak; Filipe Luis, Godin, Gimenez, Juanfran; Koke, Gabi, Tiago, O. Torres; Griezmann, Martinez
Barcelona: 4-3-3 formation: Bravo; Alba, Vermaelen, Mascherano, Roberto; Iniesta, Busquets, Rakitić; Neymar, Suárez, Messi
- Atletico Madrid have won 7, drawn 3 and lost 0 of their last 10 matches
- Barcelona have won 4, drawn 3 and lost 3 of their last 10 matches
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Atletico Madrid have scored an average of 1.7 goals and conceded an average of 0.1 goals per game
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Barcelona have scored an average of 1.6 goals and conceded an average of 1.7 goals per game
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 3 of Atletico Madrid’s previous 10 matches
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 7 of Barcelona’s previous 10 matches
- Back in May Barcelona beat Atletico to the three points with a slender 1-0 victory, a win which helped their title charge massively
Atletico Madrid have all the attributes to do well this season. An average of 0.1 goals conceded in their last ten games points towards a resilient defence, and up front they have two of the deadliest strikers from last season; Jackson Martinez and Antoine Griezmann. However it is unlikely that they will repeat the title winning heroics of two seasons ago.
Barcelona will be eyeing up this game as one they feel they should win in order to pump some energy into the start of the new season. They have beaten Atleti in all four of the last meetings hence they will be mildly confident of getting at least a point from this game.
Personally I feel that this game has a draw written all over it with both teams wanting to avoid being exploited in defensive areas this early in the season.
What are your predictions?