Darmstadt vs Hoffenheim Prediction and Preview – 29/08/2015
Bundesliga football tips – Darmstadt vs Hoffenheim prediction
The 4-4-1-1 formation has been Darmstadt’s preferred layout so far in this Bundesliga campaign which has made them difficult to break down. New signing Peter Niemeyer has slotted straight into the defensive midfield role alongside Jérôme Gondorf. Stroh-Engel hasn’t found the form which saw him finish last season as their top scorer, something they will need if they are to avoid relegation in their first Bundesliga season for over thirty years.
Hoffenheim were unlucky to lose to Bayern Munich last weekend, especially after going 1-0 up within just eight seconds. However they couldn’t get a result even when Boateng was sent off for Bayern, which shows that the 4-3-1-2 formation which they so duly rely on may not be working for them. Their downfall seems to be that teams are exploiting how narrow their formation is with wide play, therefore playing the likes of Schmid out wide might be a better option.
Darmstadt: 4-4-1-1 formation: Mathenia; Holland, Caldirola, Sulu, Jungwirth; Rausch, Niemeyer, Gondorf, Heller; Sailer; Stroh-Engel
Hoffenheim: 4-2-3-1 formation: Baumann; Kim, Süle, Schär, Kaderábek; Polanski, Schwegler; Schmid, Zuber, Elyounoussi; Volland
- Darmstadt have won 6, drawn 2 and lost 2 of their last 10 matches
- Hoffenheim have won 3, drawn 2 and lost 5 of their last 10 matches
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Darmstadt have scored an average of 2 goals and conceded an average of 1 goals per game
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Hoffenheim have scored an average of 1.2 goals and conceded an average of 1.5 goals per game
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 6 of Darmstadt’s previous 10 matches
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 6 of Hoffenheim’s previous 10 matches
- Darmstadt won the last meeting between the two teams, a 2-0 victory in the German Regional League South back in 2006. Hoffenheim have won three of the last six meetings
Darmstadt have had a very satisfactory start to the season with two draws from two games which is very respectable from a newly promoted side. Having not lost at home since October 2014, it’s looking promising for them to get a result against an ailing Hoffenheim side.
It looks as if the sales of Roberto Firmino and Anthony Modeste are hurting Hoffenheim as they sit within the relegation zone after two losses. The season may be young, but after a strong season last time around they would hope to repeat it. They will hope that new signing Eduardo Vargas can replace the goals that they are missing.
If Hoffenheim fail to sort out their defensive issues they will continue to struggle, and I feel Darmstadt could continue to upset the odds during the early stages of the season.
What are your predictions?