England U21 vs Portugal U21 Prediction and Football Tips
Euro Under 21 Championship football tips – England U21 vs Portugal U21 prediction
The main injury concern for England going in to their first match of the tournament is defender John Stones. The Everton man suffered a suspected concussion during training and if that is the case, Michael Keane could step in. With great attacking options, it will be interesting to see who starts between Harry Kane and Danny Ings, with the latter possibly having to settle for a place on the bench.
Portugal will have to do without Andre Gomes as the Valencia midfielder is missing with injury. However, they have the hugely experienced William Carvalho to call upon and the Sporting Lisbon midfielder will be pulling the strings for Portugal.
England U21: 4-2-3-1 formation: Butland; Garbutt, Gibson, Stones, Jenkinson; Carroll, Ward-Prowse; Pritchard, Hughes, Redmond; Kane
Portugal U21: 4-3-3 formation: Sa; Esgaio, Oliveira, Ilori, Guerreiro; Mario, Carvalho, Neves; Horta, Paciencia, Silva
- England U21 have won 9 and lost 1 of their last 10 matches
- Portugal U21 have won 7, drawn 1 and lost 2 of their last 10 matches
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, England U21 have scored an average of 2.1 goals and conceded an average of 0.9 goals per game
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Portugal U21 have scored an average of 2 goals and conceded an average of 1.3 goals per game
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 7 of England U21’s previous 10 matches
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 5 of Portugal U21’s previous 10 matches
- The last time these teams met was in a friendly back in November 2014, England ran out 3-1 winners
This is one of the big matches of the opening round of fixtures, with both England and Portugal being tipped as early favourites for the title, along with the Germans. Currently, Germany are 12/5 to win the tournament, with England at 4/1 and Portugal at 5/1.
With Italy also in Group B, neither of these teams can afford to lose this match and this could lead to a tight opening game. However, England have a wealth of attacking options and Portugal also boast some exciting talent, especially down their left side. With the Italy game kicking off first, both teams will know what is required, if they want to give themselves a great chance of qualifying from the group.
Portugal have failed to win their last three games and if England can keep things together at the back, they definitely have enough threat going forward to score goals.
What are your Euro U21 Championship predictions and football tips?