Real Sociedad vs Sporting Gijon Prediction and Preview – 29/08/2015
Liga BBVA football tips – Real Sociedad vs Sporting Gijon prediction
Sociedad recently re-signed Asier Illarramendi from Real Madrid, a player who started his career at the club. He found it difficult to break into an unbelievably talented Madrid setup and David Moyes will be happy to see his return. They have also signed Bruma on loan from Galatasaray – a young player with massive potential. New striker Jonathas scored 14 league goals for Elche last season so he will be a welcome addition to the squad.
On their return to the Liga BBVA, Gijon have made some decent signings. Alen Halilović has joined on loan from Barcelona as well as Antonio Sanabria from Roma, two young players who look like promising talents. Sanabria started against Real Madrid in their first match of the season, but it’s likely that Carlos Castro may come back in, the man who scored eight goals last season. Midfielder Alex Barrera has almost recovered from a cruciate ligament injury.
Real Sociedad: 4-2-3-1 formation: Rulli; De La Bella, Martinez, Reyes, Zaldua; Illarramendi, Bergara; Bruma, Prieto, Vela; Jonathas
Sporting Gijon: 4-4-2 formation: Cuellar; Lopez, Espinosa, Hernandez, Lora; Jonathan, Cases, Alvarez, Carmona; Castro, Guerrero
- Real Sociedad have won 2, drawn 4 and lost 4 of their last 10 matches
- Sporting Gijon have won 5, drawn 3 and lost 2 of their last 10 matches
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Real Sociedad have scored an average of 0.5 goals and conceded an average of 0.8 goals per game
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Sporting Gijon have scored an average of 2.1 goals and conceded an average of 0.7 goals per game
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 2 of Real Sociedad’s previous 10 matches
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 4 of Sporting Gijon’s previous 10 matches
- These teams last met in 2012 in the Liga BBVA when Sociedad cruised to a 5-1 home win. Gijon last won away at Sociedad in 2007
Real Sociedad had an average campaign last season finishing 12th. They will be looking to improve on that this time around especially after their good business in the transfer window. David Moyes looks to be building a good squad and he will hope that a win against Gijon would propel them into a bit of form.
After gaining automatic promotion on goal difference Sporting Gijon will be counting their blessings, however they were fully deserving of it. They drew an incredible 19 games last season, and only lost two – indicating a brilliant resilience within the team. They earned a good draw versus Real Madrid on the opening day.
Despite their struggles to find the back of the net recently, I predict that Sociedad will win this game against newly promoted Gijon, however it will be a tight affair.
What are your predictions?