Schalke vs Real Madrid Prediction and Football Tips
Champions League football tips – Schalke vs Real Madrid prediction
Despite sitting fourth in the Bundesliga table, Schalke are 10 points adrift of second placed Wolfsburg and have struggled for form since the Bundesliga restarted following the winter break. A defeat away to Eintracht Frankfurt on the weekend was less than ideal preparation, for what is going to be a huge test for Roberto Di Matteo and his players. However, Schalke can draw on the fact, that they managed to hold Bayern Munich to a 1-1 draw at the Allianz Arena at the start of the month, all be it with a one man advantage for much of the game.
Following the heavy derby day defeat to Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid returned to form with a 2-0 win over Deportivo in La Liga this weekend. Having said that, Atletico Madrid are the only team that Real have struggled against this season and Carlo Ancelotti will be confident of making it through this tie, without too much difficulty.
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Schalke have scored an average of 0.9 goals and conceded an average of 1.1 goals per game.
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Real Madrid have scored an average of 1.9 goals and conceded an average of 1.3 goals per game.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 4 of Schalke’s previous 10 matches
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 8 of Real Madrid’s previous 10 matches.
- The two teams met at the same stage of the Champions League last season and Real Madrid cruised to a 6-1 victory at the Veltins Arena.
Real Madrid will enter this match full confidence, having eased through their Champions League group and with the memory of that big win against Schalke from last season. Ancelotti will have to do without Sergio Ramos, James Rodriguez and Luka Modric for this match, while Pepe remains a doubt. That being said, Roberto Di Matteo has bigger problems, with the likes of Julian Draxler, Jefferson Farfan and Chinedu Obasi all definitely out with injury. Striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is doubtful.
Schalke managed to get through their Champions League group with only 2 wins from their 6 games, whereas Real Madrid dominated their group, winning all 6 matches. The last time Schalke played at home against a top European team was in November and Chelsea won 5-0, not a good sign. It seems that Schalke do not know how to keep clean sheets at home in Europe and Real Madrid will fancy their chances of hitting the back of the net in this one.
Real Madrid to win and both teams to score at 11/8 with Skybet
Real Madrid to score a penalty at 5/1 with Skybet
What are your predictions?