Southampton vs Manchester United Prediction and Preview – 20/09/15
Premier League preview – Southampton vs Manchester United prediction
Southampton are without long term absuntees Fraser Forster, Florin Gardos and Ryan Bertrand while Jordie Classie is likely to remain sidelined.
Manchester United will begin life after Luke Shaw, Morcos Rojo is the favourite to replace him with Daley Blind moving to left back. Further up the pitch, Anthony Martial could make his full Premier League debut having scored from the bench last weekend against Liverpool. Wayne Rooney is also expected to return from inury.
Southampton: 4-2-3-1 formation: Stekelenburg; Soare, Fonte, Van Dijk, Targett; Davis, Wanyama; Mane, Warde-Prowse, Tadic; Pelle
Manchester United: 4-2-3-1 formation: De Gea; Darmian, Smalling, Rojo, Blind; Schniederlin, Carrick; Mata, Rooney, Depay; Martial
- Southampton have won 3, drawn 5 and lost 2 of their last 10 matches
- United have won 6, drawn 1 and lost 3 of their last 10 matches
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Southampton have scored an average of 1.2 goals and conceded an average of 0.8 goals per game
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, United have scored an average of 1.7 goals and conceded an average of 0.9 goals per game
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 4 of Southampton’s previous 10 matches
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 6 of United’s previous 10 matches
Saints have had a fairly subdued start to the season with only one league win and a defeat in the Europa League qualifying rounds against FC Midtjylland.
At the back they have been fairly solid and were strengthened by the sigining of Virgil Van Dijk from Celtic on deadline day, but they have struggled to score goals. The south coast side have only netted five times in five games and three of those came in the defeat of Norwich.
Its been a simmilar story at Old Trafford where Louis Van Gaal’s side have been accused of lacking creativity and not taking enough risks. Moving Rooney into the number ten position might inspire the Red Devils to play with more flair, but a heavy burden rests on Martial to produce goals and it remains to be seen if he can deliver.
This is a tough one to call and I’m inclined to sit on this fence. A low scoring draw seems likely.
Under 2.5 goals at 8/13 – Click here to bet with Bet365
Result at half time and full time to be a draw at 15/4 – Click here to bet with Bet365
Anthony Martial to score first at 6/1 – Click here to bet with Bet365
What are your predictions?