Head to head
Sunderland take on Leeds United in the Championship on Saturday. Read the match predictions to find out why a Sunderland win is the betting tip at the Stadium of Light. Both sides were involved in draws through the week, with Sunderland playing a 1-1 away o Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds having a bore-draw at home to Fulham.
Sunderland v Leeds Preview
Sunderland could welcome back Bryan Oviedo and Jack Rodwell after the pair featured for the youth team last week. Paddy McNair and Duncan Watmore are out until next month while Josh Maja is out for up to six weeks after knee surgery. Simon Grayson hasn’t tinkered with his squad so far, therefore the same XI is expected to start here.
Leeds are unlikely to field Liam Bridcutt against his former club, as the player has been angling for a move away. This match will come too soon for Matthew Pennington and Gaetano Berardi is out with a dislocated shoulder. With Chris Wood the subject of transfer speculation, Souleymane Doukara is expected to lead the line.
Team Predictions Sunderland v Leeds
Sunderland 4-4-2 formation: Steele; Galloway, Kone, Browning, Jones; McGeady, Ndong, Cattermole, Honeyman; Vaughan, Grabban
Leeds 4-2-3-1 formation: Wiedwald; Anita, Shaughnessey, Jansson, Ayling; O’Kane, Phillips; Alioski, Hernandez, Roofe; Doukara
Sunderland v Leeds Betting Tips
- Sunderland have won 5 drawn 3 and lost 2 of their last 10 matches
- Leeds have won 5 drawn 4 and lost 1 of their last 10 matches
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Sunderland have scored an average of 1.4 goals and conceded an average of 1.4 goals per game
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Leeds have scored an average of 2.2 goals and conceded an average of 1.2 goals per game
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 6 of Sunderland’s previous 10 matches
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 5 of Leeds’ previous 10 matches Back Under 2.5 Goals with 888Sport
Sunderland v Leeds Prediction
Sunderland have made a solid start to the campaign and will be hoping to steal a march on one of their promotion rivals here. The Black Cats have kept a clean sheet in five of the previous seven meetings and the visitors haven’t produced much in front of goal lately.
Leeds have played back-to-back 0-0 draws and are clearly struggling for goals. It hasn’t been much better for the defensively on the road. They arrive on Wearside having failed to keep a clean sheet in their last 17 away league games.
There hasn’t been a draw between these teams since 1987. Leeds have won 16 of the 20 encounters since then but Sunderland have the upper hand on recent meetings. The home side have won their last 3 matches against Leeds and are tipped to make it four in a row.
Free Betting Tips
Sunderland at 5/4 with bet365
UNDER 2.5 GOALS at 13/16 with 888Sport
Correct Score Prediction
SUNDERLAND 1-0 at 7/1 with Betfair