FC Koln vs Hamburg Prediction and Preview – 29/08/15
Bundesliga preview – FC Koln vs Hamburg prediction
FC Koln come into this game with 4 points from their opening 2 Bundesliga games including a respectable 1-1 draw at home to last seasons runners up Wolfsburg. Week 3 will have to see them do without 3 players in Yuya Osako, Dominik Maroh and Mergim Mavraj. Osako will probably be the biggest loss having been on the score sheet in the 3-1 opening day win away at Stuttgart.
Visitors Hamburg arrive at the Rhein Energie Stadion on the back of a frantic 3-2 win at home to Stuttgart last weekend (after a humiliating Bundesliga drubbing on the opening night losing 5-0 to Bayern Munich). As uplifting as the comeback win may have been they also have to endure the loss of inspirational captain and former Arsenal man Johan Djourou after suffering a muscle tear. Djourou was Hamburg’s match winner in this fixture and will be sorely missed.
Last season both teams struggled to rise to the challenge of the Bundesliga, with Hamburg for the second season in a row ending up in a relation playoff and Koln only managing to avoid the same indignity by a mere 5 points. Although barely into September this result here shows it could prove pivotal, should both teams once again struggle this year which I envisage being a reality without any real recognisable big name players.
- FC Koln were the winners of the very first Bundesliga title.
- Hamburg are the only team to never have been relegated from the Bundesliga since it’s inception.
FC Koln: Horn, Hector, Heintz, Sörensen, Olkowski, Vogt, Lehmann, Bittencourt, Jojic, Risse, Modeste. Koln will probably line up in a 4-2-3-1 formation unless Voller makes it into a strike pairing upfront.
Hamburg: Adler, Ostrzolek, Spahic, Jung, Diekmeier, Holtby, Kacar, Ekdal, Ilicevic, Shipplock, Gregoritsch. Hamburg will probably line up in a 4-3-3 formation fancying their chances after last week’s turnaround. Defensive frailties could be exposed in Djourou’s absence.
- FC Koln have won 8, drawn 1 and lost 1 of their last 10 matches (friendlies included).
- Hamburg have won 6, drawn 2 and lost 2 of their last 10 matches.
Fixture History and Statistics:
- Of the last 10 meetings between these two sides Hamburg have the advantage with 5 wins, FC Koln have 3 wins and there have been 2 draws.
- In the last 5 meetings which have taken place in Koln there have been 2 draws, 2 Hamburg wins with only a solitary FC Koln win.
- 60% of FC Koln’s first goal in their previous 10 games arrive within the first 45 minutes of play.
- 63% of Hamburg’s total goals in their last 10 games come in the second half, 26% of the total are scored in the final 15 minutes.
- The previous 10 fixtures have seen score lines including 3-1, 3-3, 3-0, 3-2, 6-2 and 4-3.
Being so early on in the season and anticipating a cagey affair between the two sides I can see both teams scoring, having both failed to keep a clean sheet thus far and Hamburg only not scoring in one game.
Hamburg to sneak a final 15 minute winner in a 2-1 win for the visitors.
What are your predictions?