FC Midtjylland v Southampton Prediction and Preview – 27/08/15
Europa League – FC Midtjylland v Southampton Prediction
FC Midtjylland will take encouragement from their result at St Mary’s Stadium last week and will most likely opt for a similar line-up and formation. Morten Rasmussen; the Danish international, may return to the forward line however. Last week’s scorer and former Saint, Tim Sparv will guard the back four in the anchor man position and will be key to any potential FC Midtjylland victory.
Southampton have yet to click this season, initially conceding far too many goals resulted in Ronald Koeman switching to a 5-3-2 system, this proved sacrificial as the Saints secured a 0-0 result away to Watford this past weekend. Koeman may use three recognised central midfielders instead of Jay Rodriguez playing behind the two strikers, meaning he will have to compete with Shane Long and Graziano Pelle for a starting berth.
FC Midtjylland: 4-1-3-2 Formation: Dahlin; Romer, Hansen, Sviatchenko, Lauridsen; Sparv, Sisto, Poulsen, Royer; Andersson, Rasmussen
Southampton: 5-3-2 Formation: Stekelenburg; Cedric, Yoshida, Caulker, Fonte, Targett; Romeu, Davis, Ward-Prowse; Long, Pelle
- FC Midtjylland have won 6, drawn 3 and lost 1 of their last 10 matches.
- Southampton have won 5, drawn 4 and lost 1 of their last 10 matches.
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, FC Midtjylland have scored an average of 1.3 goals and conceded an average of 0.5 goals per game.
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Southampton have scored an average of 2.5 goals and conceded an average of 0.7 goals per game.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 2 of FC Midtjylland’s previous 10 matches.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 6 of Southampton’s previous 10 matches.
- Southampton have failed to win any of their last 4 fixtures
FC Midtjylland could not follow up their surprise draw against Southampton with a domestic victory, drawing 1-1 away to Esbjerg. The Danish outfit will look to Morten Rasmussen to cause problems for Southampton’s new look backline. A defensive approach is to be expected, FC Midtjylland possess that potentially all important away goal.
Koeman may well start with five defenders against FC MIdtjylland but do not expect them to sit back, the Dutchman will be asking his full backs to push forward and overlap the midfielders in search of an away goal. Jay Rodriguez scored for the Saint’s last week, whether he starts or not there is firepower in the Southampton frontline. Graziano Pelle and Shane Long are both Premier League proven strikers and they will be looking to make amends for the toothless performance at Vicarage Road.
FC Midjtylland have given themselves a shot in this tie with last week’s result. Southampton, looking more defensively solid should be just too much for the Danish team.
What are your predictions?