Southampton vs Vitesse Prediction and Football Tips
Europa League football tips – Southampton vs Vitesse prediction
Southampton can welcome back Jay Rodriguez, following a lengthy spell on the sidelines with injury and he may start on the bench. Manager Ronald Koeman, has options in attack and could use Graziano Pelle as a lone striker, with support from Dusan Tadic and Sadio Mane. The other option would be to play two up-front and partner Pelle with Shane Long or Juanmi.
Vitesse have four players on loan from Chelsea but it’s unlikely that all of them will feature from the start. Lewis Baker could start in midfield, with Isaih Brown playing as part of an attacking three further forward.
Southampton: 4-2-3-1 formation: Stekelenburg; Soares, Yoshida, Fonte, Targett; Wanyama, Clasie; Mane, Davis, Tadic; Pelle
Vitesse: 4-3-3 formation: Room; Diks, Kashia, Leerdam, Achenteh; Baker, Vako, Nakamba; Brown, Durjdjevic, Oliinyk
- Southampton have won 3 and lost 7 of their last 10 matches
- Vitesse have won 5 and drawn 5 of their last 10 matches
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Southampton have scored an average of 2.7 goals and conceded an average of 1.5 goals per game.
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Vitesse have scored an average of 2.4 goals and conceded an average of 1.4 goals per game.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 6 of Southampton’s previous 10 matches
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 7 of Vitesse’s previous 10 matches
Southampton have won their last three pre-season friendlies, including convincing wins over both Groningen and Feyenoord, both teams from the same league as opponents, Vitesse. However, this will be the first foray in to Europe for Southampton since 2003/04 and on that occasion, they were eliminated by Steaua Bucharest in their first match of the competition. There are also a few new signings, who will be looking to make an impact in their first competitive game for the club.
Vitesse, who’s former managers include Ronald Koeman, have had to say goodbye to a number of key players from last season. However, with the four players coming in on loan from Chelsea, Vitesse have boosted their squad and Southampton know the quality of players which come out of Stamford Bridge, having benefited themselves.
This match, may be much closer than many people are predicting and as it’s the first competitive match for both, could be tough to call. However, with home advantage and the fact that Vitesse have failed to get beyond this stage of the Europa league in both 2013 and 2014, Southampton have the edge.
What are your Southampton vs Vitesse predictions and football tips?