FC Cologne vs Wolfsburg Prediction and Football Tips – 22/08/2015
Bundesliga football tips – FC Cologne vs Wolfsburg prediction
With four goals in two games, Anthony Modeste looks like a very shrewd signing for Cologne, and a decent replacement for Anthony Ujah. Coach Peter Stöger will be happy with the lack of injuries to first team players as Cologne have looked impressive in pre-season and in competitive games so far. The 4-1-4-1 formation seems to be their preferred formation as they hope to maintain defensive stability.
Wolfsburg are missing some key players; Luiz Gustavo, Andre Schürrle and Diego Benaglio, all out with injuries. These are important players all over the pitch, but with their squad depth it hasn’t scuppered them too much. New signing Casteels can step into goal, while Guilavogui and Arnold can come in as defensive midfielders. Kevin De Bruyne has been linked heavily with Manchester City, however he will definitely feature in Wolfsburg’s plans.
FC Cologne: 4-1-4-1 formation: Horn; Hector, Heintz, Sørensen, Olkowski; Lehmann; Bittencourt, Jojić, Vogt, Risse; Modeste
Wolfsburg: 4-2-3-1 formation: Casteels; Rodriguez, Klose, Naldo, Vieirinha; Arnold, Guilavogui; Perišić, De Bruyne, Kruse; Dost
- FC Cologne have won 8, drawn 1 and lost 1 of their last 10 matches
- Wolfsburg have won 4, drawn 4 and lost 2 of their last 10 matches
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, FC Cologne have scored an average of 2.3 goals and conceded an average of 1.2 goals per game
- Over the course of their previous 10 matches, Wolfsburg have scored an average of 1.9 goals and conceded an average of 1.3 goals per game
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 8 of FC Cologne’s previous 10 matches
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 6 of Wolfsburg’s previous 10 matches
- Both teams settled for a point during a 2-2 draw in their last Bundesliga meeting. Cologne have not beaten Wolfsburg since 2010
Since winning the Bundesliga in 2009 Wolfsburg had one of their best seasons during the last campaign, finishing 2nd in the Bundesliga and winning the DFB Pokal. Bas Dost and Kevin De Bruyne formed a deadly connection, with a combined 26 league goals. The temporary loss of Luiz Gustavo will test their defensive strength as they progress through the early stages of the season.
Scoring goals seemed to be Cologne’s problem last season, scoring the 2nd fewest of any Bundesliga team as they escaped relegation by five points. The signing of Anthony Modeste is already proving to be an answer to this problem, although I feel Wolfsburg’s strength in attack will prove too much for Cologne, despite being in good form.
Wolfsburg’s victory over Bayern Munich in the German Super Cup will give them lots of confidence going into this campaign, although Cologne will be a challenge after a good start to the season.